My last relaxer was October 26, 2011 and I big chopped on November 5, 2012. I am currently BSL and my hair type is 4a with fine strands. My hair is very low maintenance and pretty much likes whatever I use/try on it. My minimum goal length is WL stretched but I’m pretty sure I will just let my hair grow until it becomes too much work, especially given how dense my hair is and how much shrinkage I have.
My Length Goals (Straightened/Stretched Lengths)
-MBL by September 2016
-WL by February 2017
- I deep condition once per week, alternating between moisture and protein (ex: the first Sunday of the month, I deep condition with Crece Pelo, the second Sunday I deep condition with Aubrey’s GPB)
- I do a midweek cowash using Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- I use a sulfate free shampoo once per month or whenever I feel that my hair has product buildup
After washing, I will braid or twist my hair (during summer, I may put my freshly washed hair into a bun). If it’s warm, I will usually wear a twistout or braidout the day after washing and then some type of updo until the next wash day (I’m working on mastering second day and beyond hair). If it’s cold, I will typically just leave my hair braided until the next wash day. My winter styles include braids, twists, buns with Marley hair or wigs. I also like to baggy my ends or my whole head a few times per week during the cooler months to infuse moisture into my hair. During warmer months, I prefer buns and loose styles.
Aside from seasonal changes, these are parts of my regimen that do not change:
- I do not comb my hair (unless flat ironed). I only finger detangle on hair with some type of conditioner or moisturizer.
- I limit my use of sulfate shampoos and silicones to when I flat iron.
- I do the Cherry Lola Treatment three to four times per year
- I only use heat between October and May
- I LOVE doing an ACV/AVJ final rinse if I don’t have clay. If I have clay, I add ACV, AVJ, water, honey and some ceramide oils to it as a final wash step.
Growth Aides (Including Diet, Exercise, Etc)
I try to massage a sulfur oil mix into my scalp three times per week. As for hair related supplements, I take a multivitamin, B Complex, biotin and silica. I try to drink 8-10 glasses of water per day and eat an adequate amount of protein, fruits and vegetables.
I currently use heat twice per year. Once I reach WL, I may use heat a little more frequently (maybe every 3 months).
Conditioners: Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner (doubles as my leave in), Crece Pelo Filotherapeutic Treatment, Aubrey’s GPB Conditioner
Leave In: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gel: Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, Ecostyler Argan Oil Gel
Oils: Jason Vitamin E Oil, Wonder 8 Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil (as well as regular castor oil), Argan Oil, Avocado Oil
Etc: Bentonite Clay, Aloe Vera Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar